The Information System associated with Résif seismic data (Résif-SI) is a transverse activity of the Résif project, involving engineers and scientists from several French laboratories and observatories: Ecole et Observatoire en Sciences de la Terre of Strasbourg (EOST), Observatoire de la Côte-d’Azur of Sophia-Antipolis (OCA), Institut de Physique du Globe of Paris (IPGP), Observatoire des Sciences de l’Univers of Grenoble (OSUG), ISTerre and Géoazur laboratories of CNRS, and the department of Sciences de la Terre et Environnement of Commissariat à l’Energie Atomique (CEA/DASE).
The mission of Résif-SI is:
- to collect seismic data from Résif and other French seismological networks or observatories,
- to format, validate and qualify the data,
- to generate metadata,
- to archive and secure data and metadata,
- to distribute high quality data and metadata to users and partners of Résif,
- to integrate French data into the European and international systems, based on community standards and tools agreed within the framework of FDSN and European data centers. Since 2012, Résif-SI is integrated into the European data distribution system EIDA.
Résif-SI collects and distributes “real time” and “deferred time, validated” data streams that are available to:
- national and international scientific communities, the public and the media,
- warning systems (earthquake, tsunami), fast characterization of earthquakes and generation of reference bulletins on French seismicity,
- Résif station operators that use Résif-SI to check data quality and station operation.
Résif-SI can also handle distribution and long term preservation of seismological data collected outside of it’s scope. An application process for non-Résif data is evaluated by the Résif-SI steering committee which evaluates the scientific interest of the data and by the Résif-SI technical committee which validates the technical requirements. The application information (in french) and associated annexe give all the details on the prerequisites and the procedure.
Résif-SI is a distributed system that unites different data collection and validation nodes:
- RLBP for broadband data of academic entities recorded in France mainland;
- RAP for the French permanent accelerometric antenna (France mainland, Antilles, New Caledonia);
- LDG for broadband data of CEA recorded in France mainland;
- GEOSCOPE for broadband data from its seismological worldwide network;
- VOLCANO for seismic data from the volcanological and seismological observatories of Guadeloupe and Martinique, the volcanological observatory of Piton de la Fournaise and the volcanological and seismological monitoring network of Mayotte (REVOSIMA);
- SISMOB for data from temporary experiments acquired (mostly) with instruments of the INSU pool of land seismological mobile instruments.
The Résif national data center (Résif-DC) is in charge of seismological waveform data and metadata distribution and long term data and metadata preservation and security.